Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Nonna's Cookies


When I was growing up my family had the same Sunday routine: church, lunch at Nanny and Poppy's, food comas, and dinner/night swims at Nonna and Nonno's house. We had the privilege of swimming everyday of the year living in Naples. 

One thing that I took for granted was the AMAZING food that was prepared every Sunday by my talented grandmothers. It was southern cooking for lunch, and delizioso italian for dinner. The other night I was seriously craving my Nonna's sugar cookies she would often make for dessert. So, embracing my sweet-tooth, I made a batch. I have to say, I was very impressed by the way the turned out! 

Here's what you'll need: 

For the cookies: 
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon anise extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract
3 cups flour
3 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg

For the glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
Milk (measure depending on how thick you want the glaze)
SPRINKLES! :)

Here's what you'll do: 
Pre-heat oven to 350 F
Beat together butter and sugar until creamy
Stir in anise and lemon
Add dry ingredients - blend together
Add eggs - blend
Form dough into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet
Bake for 


Cool, Glaze, Sprinkle, Enjoy!

What are your favorite Sunday memories or traditions? Please feel free to comment below!




2 comments:

  1. Aaaww, that is such a sweet tradition!! And these cookies look SO good, thanks for the recipe!

    www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and being my first comment ever! Haha. I hope you're able to make them soon!

      -Anna

      Delete